Strategic Communications Mission
- To increase awareness of the positive impact The University of Alabama has on the community, state, region, and nation.
- To strengthen the sense of community, connection and loyalty between UA and its key stakeholders.
- To increase the value that key stakeholders place on the ways UA fulfills its mission of teaching, research and service.
- To enhance UA's ability to attract and sustain the resources it needs for continued success.
Previously the Department of Photography was housed under University Relations and provided full service photographic support to all of campus at a nominal rate. Now, housed under the Division of Strategic Communications, the Department of Photography will no longer be charging for photographic service, and this will affect the scope of services we provide. To help ensure that we are utilizing our resources appropriately, and to ensure that the images we capture meet the strategic goals and objectives of our division, we have created a prioritization list for all photo assignments.
An Outline of what we cover at no cost:
The Department of Photography’s primary responsibility is to provide impactful images for the purpose of advancing Strategic Communication’s divisional mission and The University of Alabama’s brand. This includes photography for flagship marketing materials, top-level institutional web pages, institutional-level social media accounts, and flagship print publications. For event photography, priority is given to institutional-level events including those hosted by the president, such as commencement and convocation.
Specific Photography department priorities are listed below:
- Assignments from the Office of the President
- Admissions recruitment materials
- Assignments originating from any Strat Comm department (Design, Marketing, PR, Web, Video, and Social Media)
- High-profile Advancement events
- Major recurring institutional events (commencement, convocation, homecoming, etc.)
- One-time historic events (groundbreakings, ribbon cuttings, major campaign events)
- Stock (unassigned) photos of student and university-life, campus beauty/environment, and other scenic shots which happen organically, and can only be captured through dedicated time set aside to explore campus
Faculty and staff headshots
- Regular first Monday and second Tuesday is open studio, first come first served
- Athletic Events from a student or alumni perspective
- Newsworthy events on-campus (as determined by Strategic Communications)
- Community outreach and engagement either on campus or originating from campus (as determined by Strategic Communications)
In order to meet these needs the photography department will no longer be able to cover some photo assignments that we have traditionally covered in the past. These include:
- Conferences, symposiums, and other non-institutional events
- Departmental assignments or award ceremonies (these include, but are not limited to, speakers, dinners, awards, orientations, receptions, retirements)
- Departmental graduation ceremonies
- Summer camps
- Student Headshots - at this time we are not capturing student headshots. However, the UA Career Center now offers basic headshots for students. Login to Handshake to make an appointment during available times. For more information contact the Career Center.
- Group photos
- Passport photos (you may contact the Passport Acceptance Facility on campus at 348-2054 to schedule a passport photo.)